have i got a treat for you today! not one, but two (!), recipes!!!
in the last few days of the whole living challenge, i found i loved everything i made...and this is absolutely included!
confession: this recipe has cheese and i didn't omit it for the challenge. but, as yummy as it would've been without it, the cheese just makes the dish!
quinoa stuffed peppers
(recipe found here and adapted to feed two)
here's the picture i saw that convinced me i had to make this:
calories 233, protein 16, carbs 25, fat 7
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 (ish) 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 8 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 large carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese, divided (not challenge friendly!)
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs removed
1. heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. stir in spinach and drained tomatoes. cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
2. stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 1 cup water. cover, and bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. stir in 1 cup cheese. season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. preheat oven to 350°F. pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
4. fill each bell pepper half with heaping 3/4-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 tbs. remaining cheese. bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. let stand 5 minutes. transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and drizzle each with pan juices before serving.
and then enjoy!
and you know what? i had leftover quinoa stuffing!
so, you wanna know what i made? soup!
i took the leftover quinoa and veggie mixture, the leftover ranchero sauce i made last weekend, and a can of tomato soup and made magic!
i just plopped it all in a large saucepan, mixed it together and let it heat through...
and i had some delicious soup! i'll call it mexican soup with quinoa. the ranchero sauce was a great base of flavors, while the quinoa mixture added texture and flavor...the tomato soup was just to make it soup-ier!
and boy, was it delicous! it's what's for lunch on monday too!
what did you make for sunday yumday? any south-of-the-border favorites?