Monday, September 9, 2013
after a long, unplanned hiatus, sunday yumday is back! (and you'll find i've added a tab at the top for 'recipes'! it takes you to a feed of all my posts tagged with 'recipe' to put 'em all in one place!)
today, i'm excited to share with you a simple recipe that i've waited years (years, people) to try. and now that i know it's so, so simple, i'll definitely be making it again.
homemade alfredo sauce (original recipe from la dolce vita)
here's what you need: (for about 3-4 servings)
1 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
optional: any herb, like basil, rosemary, or whatever you prefer (i opted out.)
this recipe is easy doubled (or tripled) and stores well up to 2 weeks. i doubled it to ensure mike and i would have enough for our dinner and a couple extra meals each.
here's what you do:
1. in a large non-stick pan, melt your butter over medium heat.
2. reduce heat to a medium low and add heavy cream. mix and heat until warm. (be careful with the heat. you want it to be low enough to not burn the cream, but high enough to get warmed through and thoroughly mixed.
3. once the mixture is warm, add your parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper, and mix with a whisk. the whisk will help the cheese stay smooth throughout the mixture, rather than clumping. (i used garlic salt, as mike and i are garlic lovers, but you could add just salt, or also fresh garlic! the options are totally up to you!)
4. continue to heat the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes. i found that it didn't thicken as much as i thought it would, so i turned the heat up to medium and kept a close eye on it, making sure to stir often. once it's almost ready to serve, you can add some fresh basil or rosemary or whatever you desire! (we opted for the very simple alfredo without any extra herbs.)
5. once it's to your desired consistency -- enjoy!
i served mine over broccoli and chicken, as i'm avoiding carbs, but mike enjoyed a big bowl of penne, chicken, and alfredo!
this recipe was so easy and after every bite my fiance proudly stated, "this is so good!" if there's one thing i can do right, it's feeding my man food he loves!
now that sunday yumday is back in full swing -- perfect time for football season! -- let me know if you have a recipe to share! email me here and i'll feature you on mkp! i love all kinds of recipes: appetizers, entrees, sides, desserts, dips, snacks, whatever! and if it's a recipe you want to try, but aren't sure it will be good, send it over -- i'll try it out for ya! =)
happy eating all! =)